baslinux - Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General 1

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General 1
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 04:08:40 +0000

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 06:26:37AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

[delete]
> > I don't see why you don't just use a regular windoze-wannabee
> > linux distro if you want to do so much of what they do. They are
> > free.
>
> You are not making any sense. You do not need a GUI or a mouse to listen
> to streaming audio.

The GUI/mouse was in common usage _long_ before streaming audio.
By more than two decades, I believe.

It doesn't require a sound card or its associated driver or its associated
client software. It doesn't require downloading _massive_ files whenever
you use it.

At a typical dialup speed of 1.3KB/s, an hour of listening to
music requires downloading a 4.7MB file. If higher speeds are
needed, the file would, of course, be larger.

Even if you don't run a GUI you have to have the software and
hardware to make your screen and keyboard function. /dev/tty1
is a device file that has an associated device. Same for your
keyboard.

YOU are the one who isn't making any sense.

The GUI is much older technology than streaming audio. And simpler when
you look at the whole picture. Pretty hard to access the internet for
mail or web or ftp when your entire bandwidth is taken up by a radio
station coming in as a gigantic and never-ending file.

And high-speed connections are not simple or old or basic.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru