baslinux - Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 05:19:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:42:32 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

I listen to internet radio at about 20K signal, which uses far less
bandwidth than the 10.5MB ATI Windows video driver we went to the library
to fetch (turns out they also want some large installer which you can only
download with Windows). Banning Windows would be far more effective than
banning sound.

Why do internet radio when the broadcast signals are everywhere and you
can pick up a radio for a dollar at a garage sale?

The closest classical radio stations (2 and 2 halfs, one of which plays rock and the other jazz much of the time) are 50-75 miles from here and come in with a lot of static if at all, and go away between 4 and 7 pm (drive time, news and traffic reports) and from Friday evening to Monday morning, except for everyone playing the same opera Saturday afternoon. On the internet I can listen to music from several US stations that do not switch to talk or jazz or rock at those times, and from several European stations, and even Hong Kong (except most of them don't come in stably or slow enough).

A $1 radio would not pick up any classical broadcast stations. I set my receiver to mono to eliminate some of the static and still can't get all four stations at all places in town. One comes in best on a south facing hill.

Again: I suggest that you get an FM radio and listen to a classical music
station. They are all over the place. Relying on computers to do things
that are already done very well by existing services is wasteful.

They may be all over your place but not all over my place.

On the other hand, if there is an internet radio station that caters
to one's own interests (e.g. that are not enough in the mainstream to
attract the sponsorship of commercial suport) then an internet radio
broadcast can fit the bill quite nicely. Especially when it is not in
the same country, or even hemisphere, as one's self.

In my case, that is something that my computer can do, but any number
of FM radios will fail to do.

Are there any good dialup-speed classical stations in Australia? The timing would be perfect to avoid 'drive time'.
Regards from the Antipodes,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com