baslinux - Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General 2

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General 2
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 04:07:36 +0000

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 06:29:51AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

[delete]

> What on earth does this discussion have to do with Basiclinux?

I can tell you why _I_ think it is relevant.

We could start with the word "basic". It means
simple;fundamental;essential.

BasicLinux is, in part, about living simply. About making use of
older hardware and older software. Simpler hardware and simpler
software. Hardware that has both been recycled (or never thrown
away in the first place) and the manufacture of which had less
environmental impact than that of modern computers.

So that we don't have to have new computers manufactured for us.

Software that doesn't require a lot of hard disk space and RAM and other
modern hardware. And doesn't demand as much of the internet.

That's what it is, in part, to _me_. My computer is now more
than 5 years old. I will make it last as long as I possibly can.
Better than throwing it away, right?

I could get the additional hardware, like a DVDRW and a huge
harddrive and 4X as much RAM and a zip drive and a radio card for
wifi, and whatall, but then I'd just have turned my old computer
into a new one. That doesn't make sense to me.

And I'd need a high-speed connection or there wouldn't be any
point, and they have a much higher environmental impact than a
slow connection does.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

[delete]

What do _you_ think BasicLinux is about?

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru