baslinux - Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tiny Linux in General
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:51:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:
I didn't mean to suggest that there shouldn't be images. Just not
videos or sound, which generally require massive files and very
high bandwidths. And no _gratuitious_ images and no images with
embedded text.

Do you propose to ban broadcast radio and TV as well so that the bandwidth could be used for someone more important?

I listen to internet radio at about 20K signal, which uses far less bandwidth than the 10.5MB ATI Windows video driver we went to the library to fetch (turns out they also want some large installer which you can only download with Windows). Banning Windows would be far more effective than banning sound.
But "slow" connections are only limitations if you are trying to
turn the network into a virtual shopping mall and a substitute
for the boob tube and sound system. A playground for people
seeking mindless entertainment and a place for merchantile
websites stoked to the gills with eye and ear candy trying
to make themselves appear different and superior to their
competitors, which they are not.

My 56K connection is not adequate for listening to 20K internet radio - it keeps cutting out. Is Bach mindless entertainment?