baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:38:04 +0200

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:37:56AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:
> The sylpheed tutorial that someone pointed me to was a heap of
> linked files that I downloaded with wget. But the links don't
> work in the downloaded version.
>
> It would be theoretically possible to edit every link in the
> files to make them work in the downloaded copy, but it would be
> an enormous job.

Full version of GNU Wget can do this. Get it with this command:

---
wget
http://text.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.slackware.com/slackware-4.0/slakware/n7/wget.tgz
---

and install it with this command:

--
pkg wget.tgz
--

Now, if you want to download a website or ftp-site recursively (so that
you can browse it offline), you can issue the following command:

--
wget -k -p -np -r URL
--

And wget will mirror the site for you. Some explanations of parameters
used:

-k = --convert-links -- convert links in these pages to be relative
ones so that you can browse that site offline
-p = --page-requisites -- download webpage's requisites - images, etc
-np = --no-parent -- prevent going up. For example, it will
prevent downloading http://somesite.com/user/dir or
http://somesite.com/user/dir/NT if you're trying to download only
http://somesite.com/user/dir/DOS
-r = --recursive -- Turn on recursive retrieving.

Or, if that's too difficult, here's an already downloaded copy:

http://82.135.162.105/BL/sylpheeddoc/sylphdoc_wimg.tgz (with images)
http://82.135.162.105/BL/sylpheeddoc/sylphdoc_woimg.tgz (without images)