baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:52:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:43:55 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

I recommended the 1999 version, used, which is $1 at used book sales here.
Third Edition. Slackware 4.0 era. Did you get the latest edition?

Yeah, well, I keep hearing about these bargains, usually after I
have paid out for something more expensive -- no, make that
ALWAYS! -- but I can never find them for myself.

You wanna give me a URL for that $1 edition?

I got the cheapest edition that was available at several used
book sites that I tried. At this stage I'm not sure which edition
it is.

Try Opera - see Steven's instructions. Or lynx (see my site).

Didn't someone say NOT to try Opera at this stage as I would need
to load something (lib files?) into BL that I don't yet understand?

I'll try Opera and/or lynx when I get enough experience to be
able to install them.

To install lynx: download my package, type pkg lynx*.tgz.
Type lynx and the URL. Type k for keystrokes, g for goto (and the URL). o for options. More instructions in the package if you can read man pages. David compiled a later version but it is also buggier.

Lynx does not do javascript, Opera does, links2 does a minimal amount but not the https pages. To renew library books I use lynx, to read my phone bill online I use links2 (nongraphical).

For Opera, read the instructions about Opera at the BL site. Download and nstall Steven's libraries package (a few libraries from a later Slackware needed by Opera) then download about 6MB of one Opera 8.53 file for linux to / . You need to get the right version, Slackware 8.1 will do, in tar.gz form - ask for help with that.

tar -zxvf opera*.tar.gz, find -name install.sh (it will tell you where that file is located), cd to that directory, type install.sh. Opera will install itself.

startx (higher resolution is better, at least 800, because at 640 you can't set preferences, the window goes offscreen).

Make an xterm using the window manager menu.

Type opera and Enter in the xterm (actually an rxvt).

Did I miss any steps?

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v