baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:37:56 +1030

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:53:11 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> Today's high here was about 34 deg F.

I have a friend in Canada who noted that our July (mid-winter)
highs were about the same as his July ones.

> O'Reilly is the publisher, not the author. Welsh, Dalheimer and Kaufman
> wrote my edition.

Yup. I checked it out first with the online booksellers.

None of the local new or secondhand booksellers could help me,
although the new sellers offered to order it in. So when I got
home I bought a used copy from the online shop at a little under
half the new price.

> There are online tutorials too.

I much prefer to have hardcopy to one side so I can refer to it
while doing the exercises in the tutorials.

Also, that online stuff is awkward for people like me with dialup.

I can't afford to tie up the phone line for hours at a time, so I
have to look for stuff I can download and study offline.

The sylpheed tutorial that someone pointed me to was a heap of
linked files that I downloaded with wget. But the links don't
work in the downloaded version.

It would be theoretically possible to edit every link in the
files to make them work in the downloaded copy, but it would be
an enormous job.

A pity, as the bits I dipped into looked really interesting.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v