baslinux - Re: [BL] X

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 06:40:14 +1300

Lee Forrest wrote:

> The fact that you can't cut&paste from/to links 0.9.0
> is to me a fatal flaw.

You can. Hold down the shift key.

> Once the decision to use X has been made, it makes no
> sense to use _any_ of the image-displaying alternatives,

I agree. That's why I didn't compile vgalib capability
into the BL3 version of links2 (which made Sindi unhappy).

> And libncurses is _huge_,

I agree. That's why it's not in BL3 (and why I've avoided
apps that use it).

> (One of the things I admire about links 0.9.0 is that it doesn't
> use libncurses _or_ X. Frankly, I was shocked when I ran ldd
> on it and discovered that its only dependency was libc.)

links is great. It does a surprising amount with a
relatively small footprint. It was the key app in BL1.