baslinux - [BL] X

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] X
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 23:10:29 +0000

I wish I didn't have to use it. But I do.

Because I need an integrated windowing environment that
displays graphics and permits cutting and pasting between
windows, especially from/to webpages.

(The fact that you can't cut&paste from/to links 0.9.0
is to me a fatal flaw.)

That means an X browser. Dillo is looking good, at least
for starters.

Once the decision to use X has been made, it makes no sense to
use _any_ of the image-displaying alternatives, because they all
have diverse, steep and long learning curves and add unnecessary
bloat.

And libncurses is _huge_, so I'll be staying away from apps
that use it, which all seem to much larger than they need to
be, too. Like mutt.

(One of the things I admire about links 0.9.0 is that it doesn't
use libncurses _or_ X. Frankly, I was shocked when I ran ldd
on it and discovered that its only dependency was libc.)

Better to just learn all about X. That's simplicity.

However, I still use as many text-mode apps that I _can_,
running them in xterms instead of ttys. And I want to replace
some of the smaller utilities/apps with shell scripts, too.

In the long run, I think I'll have a much smaller OS than
anyone trying to do the same things without X.

And maybe someday I'll get good enough to do to the Xservers and
Xlibs what the uclibc team has done to glibc6.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru