baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: dos AT lieber.com.ar, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 04:15:13 +1030

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:40:49, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

> I think that BL3 has a small doc file simply because this linux
> distribution is for people that LIKE to experiment.

That's me.

> We must thank the person that took the time to do this distribution.

And I most certainly do!

> I went from DOS to BL3 knowing nothing about LINUX, so I begun
> READING some books and applying this new learnings in BL3.

"The Complete Idiot's Guide To..." is almost useless as it seems
to be almost exclusively devoted to a GUI-only version.

The download of Larry Greenfield's Linux Users' Guide is VERY
obviously aimed at the larger distros, but it has a lot of good
stuff on commandline use that is 100% applicable to BL.

> Greg: you are a user of ARACHNE, and you know how dificult it is
> to do the internet with DOS. Almost all of us who still use DOS must
> be subcribed to the Arachne list because of the poor documentation.

> Haven`t you thought the same when you first used Arachne as you think
> now of BL3 ?

But Arachne comes with installation wizards, 140 kb of help
files, another 129 kb of files in the DOC subdirectory, and
another 130k of examples.

That all makes it a LOT easier for the new user.

> This email sent from a 1Mby 20Mhz 80286.... who needs more ?

LOL! Yeah, it puts it right up those people who insist that you need a
2 GHz processor, 40 GB of HDD and a Gb of RAM just to send and receieve
mail <GGGGGGGGG>

And those 286's will keep chugging on and on and on.......

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v