baslinux - Re: [BL] etiquette

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] etiquette
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:18:48 +1030

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:27:28 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> He probably did not know there was an archive. And was too much of a
> Newbie to want to bother us if there was some other solution first.

Thank you Sindi. You have it 100%.

The biggest problem for a new user is knowing what questions to
ask.

That is why I like to sit down with the documentation first and
read through it, even if I don't understand it all, just to get a
mental picture of how the thing goes together.

And with software, to get some idea of how it can be used.

And examples are always useful. They are almost the same as
watching someone else use the thing and seeing how they drive it
and what happens when they do something.

But there didn't seem to be any documentation with the BL3
download. And everything that I was pointed to seemed to be for
"big" Linux, with stuff that didn't work in BL3.

>> The solution offered is to delete all files and re-install it.
> That would work if you don't understand what you are doing and only want
> 20MB of something that does work.

As I find out now.

> Like fixing Windows. I did reinstall
> to fix some problem that involved something leftover in registry after
> uninstalling a driver, easier than learning to edit the registry.

Yup. A very apt comparison.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v