baslinux - Re: [BL] etiquette

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] etiquette
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:07:42 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:
I would greatly appreciate if both new and old members could refrain from
nasty complaints about (1) the style of other people's postings, or (2)
things that do not work as expected in BL.

I apologize if anyone has been offended, annoyed, or confused by any
of my posts to this list. If something I post does not make any sense,
or is too off-topic, please let me know and I will try to correct the
problem.

(1) In my three year's of experience in this list,

I don't think I've been around BL as long as you have. I started
sometime around March 2003, with BL2.02 (my first Linux distribution,
because everything else was too large to download or too hard to use
from DOS). I first posted to this list in June or July of that year.

nobody has
intentionally posted information, or requests for information, in a style
intended to annoy. If you find someone's postings annoying, please
explain politely why they annoy you and how the poster can change their
style to better express their thoughts. This refers specifically to
comments about 'top posting'

I try to avoid top posting, but I don't really care if you top post
when you reply to the list. Others may find it annoying. I don't think
that this list has had very many top-posters in three years.

I am trying to appropriately cut posts that I reply to, but sometimes
it is difficult to decide what to keep and what to cut.

and acronyms.

The list has been using that SW71 abbreviation even longer than I've
used Linux. I apologize if my usage of that abbreviation confused
anyone. I will try to avoid using it in the future.

(2) Steven has spent an enormous amount of time putting together BL, much
or most of it being additions requested by list members, of little or no
use to himself. Unlike the rest of us, he is not perfect and does not
write perfect documentation, or even perfect software. He has spent an
enormous amount of time trying to make BL work on strange hardware
(half-height serial cards, for instance) and will continue to be helpful
if asked politely for help, as will the rest of us. Complaining that
things just do not work will only aggravate people who would be happy to
fix your problem if you ask them politely.

I try to make my complaints constructive, i.e. I will show that BL
lacks some capability and then provide directions to add it by
installing some package.

David