baslinux - Re: [BL] etiquette

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] etiquette
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:16:05 +1030

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:31:18 -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:

> The solution offered is to delete all files and re-install it.
> [Not here. Did you ask about BL on one of your cooking lists?]

Did I say it was in this list? No I did NOT. And what does it
matter what list it was on?

(But come to think of it, someone on this list did give the same
advice.)

> There is no point in an OS that I can't use to keep the stuff I want.
> [He is much too experienced with computers for that to be an honest
> statement.]

I don't understand that comment. What experience are you talking
about?

Are you saying that I was dishonest when I said that BL3 would
not accept the add-ons I wanted to install?

FACT: I installed mc and yabasic. I tried to install some other
stuff and BL was using 100% of its space. What is dishonest about
that?

Where in the files that came with it does it say this would
happen? Where does it say that it is installed in RAM? Where does
it say that I need to install it in its own partition on the HDD
if I want to use it for doing some real work?

> What a waste of time this has been.
> /quote
> That's just plain insulting.

If you take it as an insult, I am sorry for you.

For me, to download BL and try it out, only to find it
brickwalled on limited space, has been a waste of time.

Or maybe it has been a valuable lesson, to find out that things
are never as simple as some people make them out to be.

> And his FIRST post was equally rude:
> This is all EXTREMELY disappointing!
> Is it true that BasicLinux does work, or is it just another urban
> myth?
> /quote
> After using it for what? An hour?

Your guess is as usual totally groundless.

The truth is for more than twenty hours, with ZERO documentation
of any worth, and with unhelpful hints about what to do when it
filled up!

> He is not an idiot.

Thank you. Now I trust you will stop treating me like one.

> Expecting
> a specialized distro like this to behave like suse is idiotic.

What is "suse"?

Naturally, if I follow the instructions, I expect something to
work as claimed, otherwise I make complaints about it. And that
SHOULD apply no matter how specialized it is.

If BL is not going to work like that, then surely there should be
a warning on the download site.

Alternatively, people should NOT be advised to use it unless they
are prepared for a lot of trouble.

> What's he doing back again after all that?

Not "back again", just still here.

> I'm not going to help the smart-mouthed punk. He can take a hike.

That's your choice.

I'm sorry that you refuse to appreciate the frustration that a
new user can go through when the documentation supplied with
something is almost totally useless.

I pray that you are never in the same situation and have to go
through the problems I have had.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v