baslinux - Re: [BL] Pmail Basics

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pmail Basics
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:00:27 -0800

Top posting corrected.

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 02:22:48PM -0300, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

> 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> > Lee Forrest wrote:
> >> smtp athena.simple.net:leeforrest AT simple.net:xxxxxx
> >
> > Do you need authorization for smtp?
> > I seem to recall someone saying authorization
> > for smtp didn't work on BL3. I don't know this
> > from personal experience because the smtp server
> > (from my ISP) does not do authorization.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steven

> You are right:
>
> Pmail has no authenticated SMTP
>
> The configuration file lets you have a user and password for SMTP.

Which is pointless without authentication. And misleading.

> But the documents stress that SMTP authentication is a future upgrade.
>
> Alejandro Lieber
> Rosario Argentina

The manpage I have doesn't stress it. It doesn't even mention it.
There are two, contradictory, hints regarding the issue:

1. The config file's option to include them for SMTP, which
strongly suggests that it has that feature.

2. From the manpage:

-u, --auth
Specifies a pair of authority word, the log-in identity
and the password, seperated by colon (:). They are used
to talking with incoming message server. You can just

Which suggests that it only available for POP.

Lee

--
Basic Linux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru