baslinux - Re: [BL] Pmail Basics

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pmail Basics
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:55:37 -0800

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 11:46:55PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >I tried it. It produced this mail in ~/mail/outbox:
>
> >>From default@address Sat Dec 23 13:22:23 2006
> >To: someone AT somewhere.net
> >Subject: Foo
> >
> >(I have changed the "To:" address and subject and left out the
> >body, for reasons of privacy.)
> >
> >And it _tried_ to send it, but failed:
> >
> >1 message is ready for sending.
> >Trying SMTP server [athena.simple.net] ... ok.
> >Folder /root/mail/outbox, 1 messages are ready.
> >sending 1/1, (292 ) Dec 23 13:32:56 reject all target
> >addresses, abort it.
> >/quote
>
> Does your first line actually read
>
> >From default@address

No. The ">" was added by mutt before mailing it. Mail user agents
do that to avoid confusing the MTA with false "From" headers.
I should have commented out the entire quote with "#" at the
beginning of each line, to avoid that.

> ?
>
> I had the 'reject all target addresses' error message at some point and I
> think I was dialed into one ISP trying to send mail using another, which
> pmail may not handle. I will try to check this out later this week.
> *S*

That may be it. The mail setup at my ISP is not very good. If you
will remember, ibiblio rejects all mail from it.

It's a fly-by-night ISP and I would be better off taking your advice
and switching to lonestar.

Thanks,

Lee

--