baslinux - Re: [BL] Pmail Basics

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pmail Basics
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:40:41 -0800

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 09:52:23AM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > I composed a mail in mbox format and put it
> > in /root/mail/outbox
> >
> > and tried:
> >
> > pmail -o
> > pmail -o /root/mail/outbox
> > pmail -f /root/mail/outbox -o
> > pmail -o -f /root/mail/outbox
> > pmail -o -e pure
> >
> > And in every case, pmail said something like 'no postponed
> > specified' and terminated.
>
> Did you try executing "mail" and using it to
> format and send the message? Did it work?

I tried it. It produced this mail in ~/mail/outbox:

>From default@address Sat Dec 23 13:22:23 2006
To: someone AT somewhere.net
Subject: Foo

(I have changed the "To:" address and subject and left out the
body, for reasons of privacy.)

That is _not_ an RFC-compliant mail format, and contradicts
the example in the manpage.

And it _tried_ to send it, but failed:

1 message is ready for sending.
Trying SMTP server [athena.simple.net] ... ok.
Folder /root/mail/outbox, 1 messages are ready.
sending 1/1, (292 ) Dec 23 13:32:56 reject all target
addresses, abort it.
/quote

(modem lights activity indicated that the server was
actually contacted, but there was no way to tell
whether it tried to authenticate)

I then tried again using simply the commandline:

pmail -o ~/mail/outbox

(which is exactly what the "mail" script in /usr/bin does:
4) pmail -o ~/mail/outbox
;;
)

and got the same result.

I then put the _same_ mail in ~/mail/outbox that I tried
to send yesterday, and which _is_ RFC-compliant and follows
the example in the manpage.

And tried again. _Same_ result!

This makes no sense. There is nothing in that script
that does anything differently than I tried yesterday.
Yet this time pmail _did_ at least try to send it.

And when I tried again _without_ the script, it tried
to send it again.

I think that is a _very_ buggy utility.

Which explains why there is a long thread about its source
code in the archives. And why no one seems to use it.

Thanks. I think I better look for another solution. What do
others use? Sylpheed? I'd prefer a non-X app for mail.
For anything, actually.

I've downloaded the elm package from SW4.0 and will check
out the manpage.

Lee

--
Basic Linux: Small is Beautiful