baslinux - Re: [BL] mwavelan_cs instead of orinoco_cs in BL wireless

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mwavelan_cs instead of orinoco_cs in BL wireless
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:10:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

My neighbor said to search on wardrivers and sniffers to find programs
that will detect access points and give you their IP numbers. I found a
list including a CLI one which depends on iwlist scan, which my card does

iwlist eth0 ap - lists the 8 strongest access points, with my aironet card, and iwconfig eth0 ap NUMBER chooses the ap instead of using the strongest one, with my aironet card. This does not work with orinocolo.

not support with the orinoco_cs or the other two usual pcmcia drivers
(wvlan_cs and wavelan2_cs). The Windows wavelan2 driver supports all the
features, linux does not work right with iwpriv and iwspy ap, to detect
all the access points available. I can only access the strongest access
point, not detect a list of them.

I found the above info at the site which provides
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~moustafa/mwavelan/mwavelan_cs-1.10.tar.gz, which is
source code for compiling an improved driver with the missing functions,
which can show signal strength for ALL access points like the Windows
driver.

I have pcmcia source code in /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8/ directories such as
/include /modules /clients /wireless /flash /man /doc.

The mwavelan_cs code contains a bunch of text files and also some
ending in .h, .a, .c, .conf, .mk, .patch in /include /lib/ /wireless /etc
and /man. Do I just uncompress the .tgz in the pcmcia directory so
that the new files will end up in /include /wireless etc?

Do I have to make all again or can I make mwavelan_cs? I need to 'make
config', says Build. Tested for 2.4.2. I had to use 2.4.31 because
2.2.26 segfaulted with orinoco.

I uncompressed in /usr/src/pcmcia* and read the README. There is a mwavelan.mk. Since I don't know how to make just one module I typed 'make all', it ran config and I told it to use the current kernel not the source tree kernel (they are the same but dated differently because I copy things around), and it made all the modules again (did not take too long) plus mwavelan_cs, which I have copied to /lib/modules/2.4.31/pcmcia and also to

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31

for use with linksys WPC11 ver 3 (not 4) and Lucent Orinoco cards
and MY 2.4.31 kernels (not David's, compiled with a different glibc, which require his modules instead).

I will test it maybe next year. (Everyone is trying to use up their translation budget in the next week and I am a self-employed translator).

I do not need to compile sniffer now.

My neighbor said he got to the home page of the county free signal using an antenna. You can buy PCI wireless cards with antennas or at least with a place to add one.

SINDI