baslinux - Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:53:18 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > http://computers.ebay.com.au/

> What do you know ! There are what appears to be heaps
> of them. Most seem to be residing in Hong Kong !

There's a box on the left you can click to restrict listings
to Australia.

> Should I be looking for a particular specification, or
> does one size fit all ?

Avoid Xircom network cards and all CardBus cards. 3Com
network cards will work, but you will need to add a module.
Most other PCMCIA network cards will work with the built-in
module. Make sure the card comes with the dongle (the wee
cable that connects the socket to the PCMCIA card).

> And I am told that new replacements are very expensive,

$70 is pretty typical here... which is a lot of money to
spend on a $10 laptop.

> What do you do ?

I plug it into the wall. When I carry the laptop around,
I always take an extension cord.