baslinux - Re: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 04:20:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

David Moberg wrote:

Are BL2 and BL1 considered obsolete, now that BL3 is
the latest version?

BL2 is not obsolete. I still use it as my main platform.
It is a better platform than BL3 for a multi-purpose desktop.

BL3 was designed for old laptops with limited resources
(although it can be expanded to do most things). That's
why BL3 has PCMCIA capability and a small-footprint
presentation program.

We put it on our laptops and also on the hard drives of two friends as an alternative to Win98. One of them immediately switched to BL3, which she uses to read her hotmail. (The other wants to print to a USB lexmark, the type that sells for cheaper than its color cartridge, which we had no idea how to set up for BL3). And set up another friend with BL3 and Opera instead of Win98 (which was crashing all the time). 200-400MHz with as much as 48MB RAM and swapfile. I changed to a 2.4.31 kernel for laptops with USB ports, and added glibc 2.2.5 for Opera.
BTW, what is the upper limit of target hardware for BL2
and 3?

There's no upper limit as such, but hardware support is
targeted at old PCs.

We just put it on a 1.4GHz, where it should compile kernels faster. Apart from compiling, 200Mhz works fine except for playing DVDs (which works at 600MHz with -framedrop).