baslinux - Re: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:09:32 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:
I want to change MSIE6 to MSIE7 in Opera to see if it will get me a
rebate at the rebate site that refused Opera 8.

This probably will not work. Most so-called "websites" want MSIE6 and
they check your Javascript version (so Opera's MSIE6 trickery doesn't
work).

>> When I downloaded Opera 9 it wanted glibc 2.3.2, but maybe I got the wrong
>> version. Does anyone have Opera 9 working with BL?
>
> I have it working with SW91 glibc (2.3.2) in BL2. SW91 glibc might
> cause some glibc-based software to segfault. Caveat emptor.

I uninstalled 2.3.2 after noting that it won't work with kernels older
than 2.4,

I am using the SW91 glibc with the default 2.2.16 BL2 kernel.

so that I could keep using Steven's 2.2.* kernels and thereby
compile things other people could also run.

I use separate environments for building source code. If the source
code works with libc5 or SW71 glibc, I use that, otherwise I use SW81
glibc.

Does your Opera 9 specifically demand glibc 2.3.2?

Yes.

>> Does a MSIE7-equivalent Firefox work with BL2?
>
> I am going to test several versions of Firefox soon, because I cannot
> figure out how to change the tab closing order in Opera, and I have
> some Firefox-specific files that I want to use on BL2.

Firefox 0.8 works. The only dependencies that I didn't have were gtk
and glib 1.2.

David