baslinux - [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:15:31 -0800

(Are BL2 and BL1 considered obsolete, now that BL3 is the latest
version? Is this list still the correct place to discuss the old
versions of BL?)

I "discovered" that Nomdo Jansonius has a small section on BL on his
website. (At the bottom of the following page:)

http://www.nomdo.dds.nl/dos.htm

He posted directions and files for combining the binary package of
OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 with BL2. The directions are easy to follow. I
downloaded the OO.o package and his linux.zip package and now I have a
large office suite running on BL2. The only confusing part of the
installation procedure was when the setup program asked if I wanted to
use Java (the correct answer is "No", unless you have some kind of
Java environment installed).

OpenOffice seems to have more features than AbiWord or the other
office suites. For example, it has more compatibility with 3rd-party
(Microsoft, Corel, Adobe) file formats. Unlike AbiWord, the OO writer
program actually works with the VGA16 X server. And OO.o has a
full-blown spreadsheet, scripting system, MS-compatible PowerPoint
clone, etc.

So I thought that I would post the link here for those who are looking
for a "big" office suite for BL. Nomdo said in a previous post that
his Pentium was about the minimum for usable performance. My low-end
PII machine seems able to handle the suite adequately, so it should
fly on a PIII. BTW, what is the upper limit of target hardware for BL2
and 3? I notice that Steven has provided BL3.40 kernels for P1 and P2,
so should I take that to imply that Pentium-class machines are
suitable for BL2?

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2003-December/001906.html

Now, if an 80MB office suite can run on BL2 with library upgrade, is
it possible to use Firefox on some version of BasicLinux? Is anyone
using a recent (1.x) version of Firefox with BL? If so, can you share
directions for how to install it on BL2 or 3? I suppose another
library upgrade or two is necessary.

David