baslinux - Re: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] OpenOffice; Firefox
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:35:01 -0800

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

BTW, there were instructions for installing OpenOffice 1.0.3.1
in the BL2 FAQ. It's still available at the BasicLinux site.

Which BasicLinux site is it available from? I get a 404 not found from
basiclinux.com.ru, and I don't see those instructions in either
http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux2/faq.txt or
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/bl2/faq.txt.

> The only confusing part of the installation procedure
> was when the setup program asked if I wanted to use
> Java (the correct answer is "No"

Answering "yes" to Java makes OpenOffice much slower.

When I answered yes, it complained that I didn't have Java set up. Did
you download a Java environment or did it come with OpenOffice?

> Now, if an 80MB office suite can run on BL2 with library
> upgrade, is it possible to use Firefox on some version of
> BasicLinux?

I run Firefox 0.5 on BL2. Opera is better (that's why I
did the instructions for installing Opera on BL3).

Thanks. Those instructions are very easy to follow. BTW, why do you
run Firefox on BL2 if Opera is better?

David