baslinux - Re: [BL] Boot from DOS anomalies (reboots or hangs)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Boot from DOS anomalies (reboots or hangs)
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:10:46 +1300

Justin Gombos wrote:

> Ibiblio.org rejects my HELO command

Why are you sending ibiblio a HELO command?
Why don't you just send your message to dedicated
SMTP server?

> because the hostname is something I made up

Why are you making up a hostname? Why don't you get
a mail account like a normal person?

> and no DNS server would be able to reference it
> outside of my LAN.

No wonder ibiblio isn't cooperating with you.

> I have seen this error before from other servers.

I'm not surprised.

> Perhaps I could use a hostname like microsoft.com

Perhaps you should get a normal mail account, like gmail.

> but it will probably try to match IPs and reject it.

I would hope so.

> The SMTP server is rejecting it, so it wouldn't matter.

Which SMTP server? Your SMTP server? Or are you trying
to access ibiblio's SMTP server directly?

> Users who subscribe to large ISPs, and run their own mail
> server on a dynamic IP space are likely to encounter this.

I see no problem with people running their own local SMTP
server (I've done that myself), but it sounds like your
SMTP server has a problem delivering non-local mail.

> Most people are running a GUI MUA like Thunderbird,

It's got nothing to do with a GUI. Most mail clients
(GUI and non-GUI) upload to dedicated (non-local) SMTP
servers.

> which interfaces with their ISPs server.

ISP subscribers have authorization to use their ISP's
server, so most use that server. But they do have other
options -- they can upload mail to any SMTP server for
which they have authorization.

> My configuration is self serving, so I'm not dependant
> on my ISPs mail server.

That's fine as long as your self-serving setup is working
well. Clearly, it is not.