baslinux - Re: [BL] Boot from DOS anomalies (reboots or hangs)

  • From: Justin Gombos <mindfuq AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Boot from DOS anomalies (reboots or hangs)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:23:20 -0700

* 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org <3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org> [2006-11-18 19:01]:

> > The floppy version requires 12MB, and the target machine
> > has 8MB. I could try it on the test machine, but I'm not
> > sure how useful that will be.
>
> It would help us pinpoint were your problem is.

The floppy boots and gives me shell. From there, I can boot X, and
mount drives.

> > What's the purpose of /dev/loop0?
>
> The DOS version of BL3 runs in a loopfile. That too
> could be the cause of your problem. Are initfs.gz and
> fs.img in C:\BASLIN ? It must be the C: drive. The
> directory must be called BASLIN and it must be a top
> directory. This is not a suggestion. This is not an
> option. The DOS version of BL3 will not work unless
> it is in the right place on your DOS drive.

Everything is in C:\baslin.

> Are you sure you used the correct address? I just emailed
> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org and it worked fine.

Yeah, I did it twice. Ibiblio.org rejects my HELO command probably
because the hostname is something I made up, and no DNS server would
be able to reference it outside of my LAN. I have seen this error
before from other servers. Perhaps I could use a hostname like
microsoft.com and see if it accepts the message; but it will probably
try to match IPs and reject it.

> I suggest you try that address now with "help" as the subject.

The SMTP server is rejecting it, so it wouldn't matter. It doesn't
even make it to the mailing list software.

> > I mentioned it because other users may enounter the same
> > inconvenience.
>
> AFAIK, you are the only person to have a problem joining
> the list. Perhaps you are just unlucky?

Users who subscribe to large ISPs, and run their own mail server on a
dynamic IP space are likely to encounter this. It may be a rare
scenario. Most people are running a GUI MUA like Thunderbird, which
interfaces with their ISPs server. My configuration is self serving,
so I'm not dependant on my ISPs mail server.