baslinux - Re: [BL] Boot from DOS anomalies (reboots or hangs)

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org, mindfuq AT sbcglobal.net
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Boot from DOS anomalies (reboots or hangs)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:09:03 -0500

Presumably Justin Gombos got Steven's messages - I'm including him
specifically.

On 19 Nov 2006 at 12:35, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Justin Gombos wrote:
> >
> > The floppy version requires 12MB, and the target machine
> > has 8MB. I could try it on the test machine, but I'm not
> > sure how useful that will be.
>
> It would help us pinpoint were your problem is.
>
> > What's the purpose of /dev/loop0?
>
> The DOS version of BL3 runs in a loopfile. That too
> could be the cause of your problem. Are initfs.gz and
> fs.img in C:\BASLIN ? It must be the C: drive. The
> directory must be called BASLIN and it must be a top
> directory. This is not a suggestion. This is not an
> option. The DOS version of BL3 will not work unless
> it is in the right place on your DOS drive.
>
> > Boot.bat passes that as a parameter to loadlin.
>
> That will change after you install BL3 to its own HD
> partition. Then boot.bat will point loadlin directly
> to the appropriate HD partition.

My boot.bat
------------
loadlin zimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw
-----------

My HD.BAT

> Are you sure you used the correct address? I just emailed
> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org and it worked fine.
>
> I suggest you try that address now with "help" as the subject.

I just did - works fine.

> > I mentioned it because other users may enounter the same
> > inconvenience.

> AFAIK, you are the only person to have a problem joining
> the list. Perhaps you are just unlucky?
>
> It's interesting that you are also having a problem booting BL3.
> More bad luck?
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

I've forgotten how to do LILO, but have used GRUB:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

It happened that Damn Small Linux had an option to install sort-of to HD.
GRUB somehow is put into the MBR and set to call the rest of the boot loading
process.

Here's my /dev/hda3/boot/grub/menu.lst
--------------------
default 0
timeout 5

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title DSL
root (hd0,2)
## kernel /boot/linux24 fromhd=/dev/hdb2 root=/dev/hdb2 quiet dma mydsl=hdb4
restore=hdb4 nodhcp nopcmcia frugal write
kernel /boot/linux24 fromhd=/dev/hda3 root=/dev/hda3 quiet noacpi dma base
norestore nopcmcia nofstab frugal write desktop=jwm
## kernel /boot/linux24 fromhd=/dev/hda3 root=/dev/hda3 quiet dma base
opt=hdb2 home=hdb2 restore=hdb2 nopcmcia frugal write desktop=jwm
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz

title BL3.4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/zimage root=/dev/hda8 rw

title BL3.4-big
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/bzimage.big root=/dev/hda8 rw

title BL-USB
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/bZimage.431 root=/dev/hda8 rw