baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:52:29 +0000 (UTC)

Someone please tell me where I went wrong in making a linux boot diskette:

Boot 2-floppy BL3

Copy my kernel image (call it zimage) to a /boot directory that I made in both linux partitions (hda2 and hda3)

mount /dev/fd0 /fd
mke2fs /fd (one book said to make a minix file system instead of ext2)

mkdir /boot
cp /boot/boot.b /fd/boot
(Are these two lines needed?)

mkdir /etc
e3pi lilo.conf

boot=/dev/fd0
prompt
(do I also need install=/boot/boot.b or /fd/boot/boot.b?)
delay=50

other=/dev/hda
label=dos
table=/dev/hda

image=/boot/zimage (should it be /hda2/boot/zimage?)
label=bl3
root=/dev/hda2
read-write

image=/boot/zimage
label=bl2
root=/dev/hda3
read-only

Ctr-X, Y to save the file in /fd/etc .

To install lilo:

lilo -C ./lilo.conf -v
(-C tells it which lilo.conf to use, -v is verbose)

Lilo version 20.....

Reading boot sector from /dev/fd0
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0x0100.

A google search on 'lilo' and 'device 0x0100' informs me that I am trying to install lilo to a ramdisk. Why is this if boot=/dev/fd0?
It says to 'lilo -r /mnt'.
Do I 'lilo -r /fd'

Another site suggested chrooting but I can't chroot to the boot diskette.