baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:36:06 +0000 (UTC)

BTW, you should consider downloading the Compaq CMOS setup
floppy (F10 Setup). It has some settings you may wish to
experiment with.

Do I need it in order to add an IDE drive to the SCSI computer? Or to
boot linux on it? I will look for it.

The setup and diagnostics for Compaq are loaded in a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the drive and can be accessed with F10 while booting, if you have the original drive (we have it in the Deskpro). The floppy setup appears to be the same thing, intended for those of us who were given the computer without the hard drive (the Presario). Our other Presario did not need the floppy disk to recognize our IDE drive. The Deskpro said to use it when we tried putting in an IDE drive, but that might be only if we want to boot IDE instead of SCSI.

I wonder why the CMOS settings are on hard disk or floppy disk in Compaqs instead of on the motherboard.

First LILO on the Deskpro, probably easier than the ATI X driver and fiddling around with libvga.config.