baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:22:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Karolis Lyvens wrote:

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:52:29PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
Someone please tell me where I went wrong in making a linux boot diskette:

Boot 2-floppy BL3

Copy my kernel image (call it zimage) to a /boot directory that I made in
both linux partitions (hda2 and hda3)

mount /dev/fd0 /fd
mke2fs /fd (one book said to make a minix file system instead of ext2)
You need to give /dev/fd0 instead of mount point for such low level
operations like mke2fs... I.e., it doesn't operate with filesystem,
commands like dd and mksomefs interface directly with the device.
I presume I did this correctly but typed it up wrong.
mke2fs /dev/fd0 then mount /dev/fd0 /fd.
I have an ext2 floppy disk.

A google search on 'lilo' and 'device 0x0100' informs me that I am trying
to install lilo to a ramdisk. Why is this if boot=/dev/fd0?
It says to 'lilo -r /mnt'.
Do I 'lilo -r /fd'
This did not work at all, it stopped even finding lilo.conf.

Excerpt from lilo man page:
-r root-directory Before doing anything else, do a chroot to
the indicated directory. The newroot directory must contain a /dev
directory, and may need a /boot directory. It may also need an
/etc/lilo.conf file.

I chrooted to the ext2 directory after copying over /etc/lilo.conf (and I also copied boot.b and chain.b to /boot - or maybe lilo copied them from /fd, I lost track. Lilo put a map into /boot on ext2.

I am not sure whether you need this option, but if you do, the boot
diskette has to have /dev in order for this option to work

Another site suggested chrooting but I can't chroot to the boot diskette.

Chrooting to ext2 BL3 seems to have worked.