baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:57:16 +0000 (UTC)

----------------
I am getting closer to booting loop linux from SCSI drive:

The DESKPRO had no config.sys, which explains why it would not boot past
the first line. Our previous Presario with SiS video did Xvesa despite
config.sys (but it had a few other problems so we replaced it). I think I
tried it with 2.4.31, but maybe only with 2.2.16.

I added a config.sys to the Deskpro and attempted to boot loop with
kernel 2.4.31 and my own scsi kernel (which I have been using all along)
and my own initfs.gz (with /dev/sda1 and with linuxrc that mounts it).

It started to boot (got past the uncomressing linux line) and found sda1
sda2 sda3, 0,0,0 , then:

Freeing initrd memory: 42K freed
EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)

I LEFT OUT THE LINE:
EXT2-fs: Unable to read superblock.

FAT: Unable to read boot sector WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?
FAT: Unable to read boot sector
isofs_read_super_bread failed, dev=07:00
iso_blknum=16, block=32

Can I run e2fsck on fs.img? (Using floppy disk BL3.40). I thought it had to be run on a device (e2fsck /dev/hda1 for instance). How do we fix errors in a loop file system without mounting it? Why can't it read the superblock?

The two Compaqs that require himem.sys and emm386.exe to boot to ext2 with loadlin were or are both 400MHz - one AMD K6/2 Socket 7 (upgraded by us to 500MHz), and one Intel or something under a very large heat sink. The one that worked better was AMD K6/2 475MHz (but it worked better at 300MHz, USB was intermittent otherwise). What speed are yours, Steven?

It is now 5:45 am. We have three computers with problems now, if you include the one where the scsi controller is failing, which I need to fix using the Compaq scsi computer to copy files from the other scsi drive to IDE drive.