baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:44:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is anyone else running BL3 ext2 on a Compaq?

I'm running BL3 on three Compaqs (two are DeskPros).
They all work fine (loop, floppy and ext2). However,
they are all IDE.

If yours are SCSI, I suggest you get a proper SCSI
kernel (eg from Slackware) or compile one yourself.

These both have onboard ATI video - could it be causing
the boot problems somehow?

One of my DeskPros has ATI video. It works fine.

On the Presario 5240 and the Deskpro, loop BL3 with kernel 2.2.26 works fine even if I bypass system files with F5 while booting to DOS.

Loop 2.4.31 and ext2 2.4.31 AND 2.2.26 refuse to boot on the Presario unless I have a config.sys with BOTH himem.sys and emm386.exe (DOS 7.1 standalone or Win98 work, with or without ems). Uncompressing linux,... Ok, booting the kernel - and nothing more.

But if I DO have a config.sys with these drivers, Xvesa refuses to work.
It works when I boot with lilo and 2.2.26 from floppy disk, or when I boot loop with 2.2.26 and no config.sys (F5). I can't boot ext2 BL3 without these drivers, or loop 2.4.31 BL3. (I have not had this problem with the same kernel on other computers, including the one the drives came out of).

This leaves me with the problem of a computer that will boot ext2 linux (or loop linux with 2.4.31) only if I boot to DOS with emm386 and himem.sys, but then won't run Xvesa. I will try another X server for the Rage Pro LT (SVGA?) and if that fails, learn to use LILO.
(A boot menu won't help here, not sure about SBM).

Since I can't even boot 2.2.26 ext2 BL3 without config.sys drivers, the problem here is not my kernel, it is the hardware.

The error message from Xvesa:
_XSERVTransSocktUNIXCreateListener:...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XServetransMakeAllCOTSServerListerners: server already running

Followed by a suggestion to check if a server is already running.
Something in himem.sys or emm386.exe appears to be fooling Xvesa into thinking a server is already running, but not if I run loop BL3 with 2.2.26, just with 2.4.31, or either kernel with ext2 partition.

----------------
I am getting closer to booting loop linux from SCSI drive:

The DESKPRO had no config.sys, which explains why it would not boot past the first line. Our previous Presario with SiS video did Xvesa despite config.sys (but it had a few other problems so we replaced it). I think I tried it with 2.4.31, but maybe only with 2.2.16.

I added a config.sys to the Deskpro and attempted to boot loop with kernel 2.4.31 and my own scsi kernel (which I have been using all along) and my own initfs.gz (with /dev/sda1 and with linuxrc that mounts it).

It started to boot (got past the uncomressing linux line) and found sda1 sda2 sda3, 0,0,0 , then:

Freeing initrd memory: 42K freed
EXT-fs warning: (run e2fsck....)
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
FAT: Unable to read boot sector WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?
FAT: Unable to read boot sector
isofs_read_super_bread failed, dev=07:00
iso_blknum=16, block=32

Do I need to recompile the scsi kernel so it will read the FAT boot sector on a SCSI drive? This kernel works for ext2 linux on a
scsi drive, when booted with loadlin from an IDE drive, on a different computer (where the controller seems to be failing, or maybe both disk and controller because sometimes the controller won't spin up the disk, but it does not work right with a different disk either, file system crashes).

If I boot with loadlin and kernel on a DOS partition on the scsi drive to an EXT2 partition on the same drive, am I likely to have the above problem? Another option is to add an IDE drive from which to boot linux to ext2 and loop, if the Compaq will accept it.

The Deskpro runs Xvesa booted with lilo from floppy disk but the kernel won't access the scsi hard disk.

Steven, do you have a scsi controller and drive?