baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:20:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

mount /dev/fd0 /fd
mke2fs /fd

That's wrong. You format the floppy, then mount it.
A typo, I did what you said.

mke2fs -m0 -i8192 /dev/fd0
mount /dev/fd0 /fd

mkdir /boot

No need to put a boot directory on the floppy.

cp /boot/boot.b /fd/boot

cp /boot/boot.b /fd
cp /boot/map /fd

I did not copy /boot/map and it seems to have worked anyway.

mkdir /etc
e3pi lilo.conf

boot=/dev/fd0

install=/fd/boot.b
map=/fd/map
I had neither of these lines and it seems to have worked. (I made the mistake of not unmounting /fd before dialing in).

What I had to do to make a lilo boot diskette was:

1. Boot with the 2-floppy lilo. (Turns out there was not really a need for this).
2. Mount /dev/hdb2 (BL3 partition) on /hd
3. mkdir /hd/boot

4. cp /boot/boot.b /hd/boot/boot.b (and copy kernel image there too)
and cp /sbin/lilo /hd/sbin/lilo
5. Insmod the three modules for the CD-ROM drive by cd'ing to their directory in ext2 (they are not found on the 2-floppy linux) and insmod ./cdrom.o etc., then mount the Slackware 4.0 CD, copy lilo.tgz, tar -zxvf it, and copy over /boot/chain.b to /hd/boot (BL3 partition).
It would have been simply to boot to BL3 ext2 and install lilo.tgz or copy over lilo and chain.b and boot.b

What I think I actually did was copy chain.b to /fd/chain.b, but lilo found it and copied it to /boot on the ext2 partition. I tried once without chain.b and it complained about not finding it.

6. Copy lilo.conf to /hd/etc/lilo.conf

7. Chroot to /dev/hdb2 (so as not to be running linux in ramdisk, which prevented lilo from working).

8. lilo -v

This appears to have set up a lilo boot disk for DOS and BL3 and BL2. It also put a 'map' file into /boot on BL3 ext2.

So my two problems were: trying to run lilo from ramdisk (I had to chroot to ext2 linux - will loop linux also work?), and not having chain.b.

How does the 2-floppy linux manage to install itself from ramdisk to MBR on hda?

I am still very confused. And I need to test the disk.

The backup for the floppy disk boot sector went into the /boot partition in BL3 ext2, so I may have not done this quite right. So did map - does it belong on the boot diskette instead? I may try copying them over.

The floppy drive on my other computer no longer reads FAT floppy disks but does read linux-formatted ones (mke2fs). Is this a bad controller or a bad drive? We replaced 6 bad caps on this board, it arrived dead. 600MHz.