baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:24:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The two Compaqs that require himem.sys and emm386.exe to boot
to ext2 with loadlin were or are both 400MHz - one AMD K6/2
Socket 7 (upgraded by us to 500MHz), and one Intel or something
under a very large heat sink.

One is a DeskPro EN-SFF Pentium II 350MHz. The other
is a DeskPro 4000 166MMX, which is now running a K6/2
at 360MHz (using an undocumented jumper setting). Both
run BL3 perfectly in all modes.

We have had three newer Compaqs all with video onboard and video problems. One works better at 300 than at the 475 it came set to. You were lucky.

BTW, you should consider downloading the Compaq CMOS setup
floppy (F10 Setup). It has some settings you may wish to
experiment with.

Do I need it in order to add an IDE drive to the SCSI computer? Or to boot linux on it? I will look for it.