baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 games for children

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 games for children
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:49:20 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:
The xgames mostly did not work and the few that worked were too
complicated for children ages 3 5 7 9 13 (they all wanted to play at
once). I can try to figure out Steven's games for them. castlemaze does
not tell you that you can 'climb' or 'jump' until you try to 'go' down.

There are some xlib games binaries available for libc5 - you have to
look hard to find them, though. The one I saw (xboing, breakout-type
game) required two fonts that don't come with BL3.

The two middle kids were most interested in being allowed to type such
things as 'cd /fd'. bsdgames has an arithmetic 'game' but not a tpying
tutor. Is there one for linux?

I think there's something called tux typing. I wonder if there are any
online typing tutors...

How does one turn off xsnow (which wastes memory) from the menu?
kill `pidof xsnow` works from CLI but not in the menu
("stop snow" app rxvt -e kill `pidof xsnow` )

Maybe you need another set of quotes:

"stop snow" app rxvt -e "kill `pidof xsnow`"

David