baslinux - Re: [BL] Cdrom

  • From: elmarsa dice <elmarsadice AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cdrom
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

Steven, Again, many thanks to you for the reply. Also to Sindi.

--- 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> elmarsa dice wrote:
> >
> > I checked the splash screen but it didn't mention
> > anything about cdrom.
>
> Floppy version, right? Here's the bottom of the splash screen:

Right, but I think I got a truncated version. I have it installed on
the harddrive and am booting from it. I go to /etc/rc and read the
splash screen on the xterm screen. Same result if I go to /etc/rc
outside of xterm i.e. the d command.

> Use d to browse directories and view files (using the arrow keys).
> Adding --help to a command usually gives you brief documentation.
> For some commands, man [command_name] will provide more
> documentation.
> To configure a modem, use pppsetup. To send/receive mail, run
> mail.
> Execute wp to run a primitive word-processor.
> To activate the stand-alone GUI, execute startx (requires 8mb RAM).
>
> For remote X (via network), execute startxt (works with 4mb RAM).
> See /etc/rc.hd for commands to activate cdrom/network/pcmcia.

My version stops before the last line. I don't have the
"See.../pcmcia." line.
> See last line.
>
> > Had some problem mounting it because the drive was called
> > hdb
>
> It all depends on which IDE interface the CDrom is plugged
> into. My CDrom is at /dev/hdc
>
> > Must I do the insmods and mount drill everytime I restart
> > the computer?
>
> Are you booting from two floppies? If so, then yes you
> need to do the insmods yourself. However, if you have
> installed BL3 to HD, you can edit /etc/rc to do that
> automatically (just remove the # at the start of the line).
>
> > rebooted once and lost the cdrom.
>
> The kernel has no memory of previous insmods. Every time
> you reboot the kernel, it needs its modules re-installed.
> This is best done in the startup script (/etc/rc).

I am booting from the hard drive and after getting your instructions
I now have the cdrom working on boot up although I must mount it. I
will write a short script to mount it and hopefully it will all be
automatic. Now that I have learned that I will try to get my
ethernet working.

> Cheers,
> Steven

> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org