baslinux - Re: [BL] mousekeys with xmodmap, was Re: XKB not supported

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mousekeys with xmodmap, was Re: XKB not supported
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 18:08:32 +0000 (UTC)

I am trying to get accessx (with mousekeys) working. I think I can be done directly without any special program (type Shift-Numlock or Alt-Shift-Numlock, depending what you read) or with one of two packages, accessx or xkbset, which also control mouse acceleration and sticky keys etc. I compiled them both but XKB is not loading and it is required.

The author of xkbset is trying to help. First step is to get XKB (X Keyboard Extensions) to work. I read it needs XFree 86 3.1 or later. He suggested xorg 6.1 instead - Slackware 10.2 uses xorg (which has a 3-page .xinitrc but I did not need to make an XF86Config). I will try that and then work on XFree86. I presume BL3 supports xkeyboard since Steven's XF86Config has a line disabling it. So I will try on a fresh BL3.40, in a loop or maybe on a 120MB hard drive.

The approach will be to add packages until it works, then delete things until it breaks. Any better ideas?

Can I install xbin.tgz and xlib.tgz on top of the BL3.40 setup without breaking anything? What other packages should I also add if those are not enough? I installed all the recommended X packages for BL2, and xkbset was still not working, but I no longer have SVGA server working on that computer since I changed to a RAGE card so I cannot easily check why. (If I try to use it things crash, I power off and run e2fsck). I might temporarily put in an ISA Trident card and see if it works with X SVGA.