baslinux - Re: [BL] Cdrom

  • From: elmarsa dice <elmarsadice AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cdrom
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:12:33 -0700 (PDT)

Steve and Sindi,
Thanks for the reply. I finally found the 8139too.o file on the
knoppix disk and was successful in copying both the rtl8139.c and
8139too.o files to the lib/modules/2.2.16/misc directory. I then did
the insmod on with both. The insmod on 8139too.o returned 29 lines
of unresolved symbols.
The rtl8139.c file returned the following: (By the way I had to do
the insmod from the /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc directory because if I
did it from the root prompt it came back "file rtl8139.c.o could not
be found". It obviously looks for a .o file to do its thing.)
Here is the return:
Using rtl8139.c
insmod: not an ELF file (maybe BL3 is not configured for high speed)
insmod: could not load the module: Success
I don't know what the "Success" means but the browser wouldn't open
when I clicked on internet. It just came back "host not found".
That's where I am now, will let it rest for a while and try again.
Maybe I need to configure the browser but I haven't figured that out
yet.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/net/rtl8139.o

> Or follow the link from the home page for BL3.40, for additional
> kernels
> and modules, modules, net.
>
> > and downloaded the linux driver from the dlink site but so far
> have
> > not been able to copy it to the basiclinux harddrive. It's also
> in
> > txt format with a .c extention. I don't know if that will work.
>

> This is the source code and it would need to be compiled before
> use.

> > also downloaded it on my windowsxp machine and put it on a floppy
> but
> > for some reason basiclinux will not read the floppy so I can copy
> it
>
> Sometimes floppy drives get out of alignment and you can't read
> what they
> write on any other floppy drive.
>
> You can check the alignment with 'fdformat' command. If you get a
> high
> number it is out of alignment.
>
> Try formatting the disk you want to copy to on the linux computer
> that
> would not read the XP disk, then write to this disk with the XP
> computer. That has worked for us when we have a worn-out laptop
> floppy
> drive that we cannot replace.
>
> Sindi

> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org