baslinux - Re: [BL] Cdrom

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cdrom
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:08:48 +1200

elmarsa dice wrote:

> I checked the splash screen but it didn't mention
> anything about cdrom.

Floppy version, right? Here's the bottom of the splash screen:
Use d to browse directories and view files (using the arrow keys).
Adding --help to a command usually gives you brief documentation.
For some commands, man [command_name] will provide more documentation.
To configure a modem, use pppsetup. To send/receive mail, run mail.
Execute wp to run a primitive word-processor.
To activate the stand-alone GUI, execute startx (requires 8mb RAM).
For remote X (via network), execute startxt (works with 4mb RAM).
See /etc/rc.hd for commands to activate cdrom/network/pcmcia.
See last line.

> Had some problem mounting it because the drive was called
> hdb

It all depends on which IDE interface the CDrom is plugged
into. My CDrom is at /dev/hdc

> Must I do the insmods and mount drill everytime I restart
> the computer?

Are you booting from two floppies? If so, then yes you
need to do the insmods yourself. However, if you have
installed BL3 to HD, you can edit /etc/rc to do that
automatically (just remove the # at the start of the line).

> rebooted once and lost the cdrom.

The kernel has no memory of previous insmods. Every time
you reboot the kernel, it needs its modules re-installed.
This is best done in the startup script (/etc/rc).