baslinux - [BL] AMD K6 233MHz won't run any X?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] AMD K6 233MHz won't run any X?
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 22:12:38 +0000 (UTC)

We set up a DFI computer (the sort that won't boot from any DOS except MS DOS) wtih Trident video and AMD K6 133Mhz cpu, which hwinfo says failed some test and has a bug.

Xvesa won't work in BL3 or Bl2 - 'illegal instruction'

I tried no-xvesa.tgz with XF86_SVGA (trident and Trio32 S3 cards) and XF86_S# (S3 card) and rant Xsetup.

Startx tellms no 'No server X in path.

Set tells me that X is in a directory that is no the path.
xinit tells me
X: 1: Syntax error "(" unexpected.

In BL3 I was able to load X with startx and Xvesa anyway but it crashed linux and I had to power off. BL2 just complained about it.

The hard drive was just put here and came from a computer where it worked with Matrox or Tseng and Xvesa (from BL3, in Bl2 or BL3).

So I think I have a hardware incompatibility with X in general.

Pictview works fine in DOS. I did not try COmpushow.

I will try again anyway bypassing autoexec.bat and config.sys in case that helps.

I think this computer was just switched over form FreeDOS to DOS 7.1 Chinese (I was told it was, I noticed it was not, and I was told it would be right away).

Has Xvesa done this to anyone else (illegal instruction) and xinit also rfused to work?