baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:35:41 -0500 (CDT)

This is really a qemu question. You might find answers by looking over documentation at http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ . Qemu emulates an ne2000 network interface so, from the BL side of things, that module (and probably its helper module 8390) need to be insmod'd. Then, dhcp (udhcpc?) needs to be run on the interface to request an IP: I don't even remember if BL2 does dhcp . . . anyone else know? But the host OS must also be capable of providing certain pieces of the puzzle: Linux has tap/tun devices that are an important part of the virtual network and which must exist on the Linux (host) system for networking to work, Under Linux, you must also invoke qemu with certain switches for the virtual networking feature to be available. How this would be done under M$Win would of course be different--if it can be done at all. That's a question to pose to other Windows users who also use qemu--maybe on the qemu forums. Getting networking going under qemu is kind of arcane, so unless you're ready to do a fair amount of research and experimentation you should probably stay away from it to and yourself some frustration.

James