baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 Opera Segmentation fault with X_SVGA (256 colors), backspace and mouse problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 Opera Segmentation fault with X_SVGA (256 colors), backspace and mouse problems
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:35:24 +0000 (UTC)

Trying xli with 8-bit color on the Toshiba in case we end up using Opera
without an image viewer (we can download the images to view later).

It displays (in 240 colors) a lot of small colored dots (an Opera cache
jpg). I vaguely recall something about needing to put the mouse focus on
the image for it to display correctly. /dev/mouse is linked to /dev/psaux
and we have a PS/2 mouse, but no cursor.

I was able to edit Steven's generic 800x600 XF86Config from color depth 8 to color depth 16 (section svga) and also Videoram from 1024 to 2048 (which will probably let me use a Virtual Screen) and xli now displays properly without moving a mouse.

It looks equally terrible in 8-bit color in Xvesa or in X_SVGA (desktop or laptop).

Would zgv do better than xli with 256 colors? (Could not try it on the 486 Compaq because svgalib would not work with the WD chipset, which I think only goes to 256 colors. It did work on a mono laptop, in greyscale).

But:

Opera segfaults the same way with 8 or 16 bit color.

I ran xf86config and the resulting XF86Config displays at 320x200 (built-in). Why? (I had the same problem with another video chip before).

Does Xvesa have built-in mono X driver?

Steven, can you get Opera working with X_SVGA? X_VGA? I think I would copy over a section for that to your generic XF86Config - would I also need to add modelines and link X to X_VGA?