baslinux - [BL] BL3.40 Opera Segmentation fault with X_SVGA (256 colors), backspace and mouse problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3.40 Opera Segmentation fault with X_SVGA (256 colors), backspace and mouse problems
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:45:54 +0000 (UTC)

Chips and Technologies video on a Toshiba Satellite 335CDS, X_SVGA (which is probably 8-bit color only for this chip, as it is for Tseng) and Steven's generic XF86Config with mouse /dev/mouse.

Opera 7 and 8 Segmentation fault.

The backspace key also does not work in X, but works in console. Ctrl-H works to delete the character before the cursor. Backspace works in X on the desktop.

I changed to 8-bit color on the desktop (ATI) in Xconfig and Xvesa displayed, eventually, with an olive green background and red rxvt title bar.

Opera loaded in 8-bit color after telling me:
call to XQuery Colors() failed. Falling back to black/white display.

Does this mean it works in mono mode? Opera 7.23 I think refused to load when I chose a mono X server. I have not tried vga X with Opera yet.

Opera displayed without the ad banner, only the File..... menu at screen top. I hit Ctrl-Q to exit and got a blank dialog box (it only had one question at the top) and I hit Enter to exit.

Opera 6 worked a few years ago in BL2 in mono mode (but without any images).

Steven, does your generic no-xvesa XF86Config not support mono mode?

You cannot add 'xinit' to the tty0 line in inittab and have it work like startx, it boots into an endless loop 'init is the parent of all processes'. Now I know why Steven included the 'real' startx in no-xvesa.tgz. xinit works from the command line.

Trying xli with 8-bit color on the Toshiba in case we end up using Opera without an image viewer (we can download the images to view later).

It displays (in 240 colors) a lot of small colored dots (an Opera cache jpg). I vaguely recall something about needing to put the mouse focus on the image for it to display correctly. /dev/mouse is linked to /dev/psaux and we have a PS/2 mouse, but no cursor.

PS/2 mouse works in DOS. drmouse.

The Toshiba was given us only because of a dead hard drive and we may have put in something it cannot handle (40GB) or that was not good to start with, but no other known problems with it in DOS.

We have a mended-hinge no-floppy Hitachi 133MHz to which we moved the 16MB EDO RAM chip from the Toshiba (which identified it as 32MB and crashed) so they are now both 32MB. The Toshiba spends a lot of time during boot at the Busybox line, the Hitachi does not, and though it takes longer to get to that line, it boots faster. Syschk also takes a minute to load on the Toshiba. We tried setting CMOS to normal or enhanced IDE. We stopped waiting after a few minutes for syschk to test hard drive speed. The Toshiba 40GB laptop drive was $5 at a yard sale, maybe it has some problem that is somehow affecting Opera?

On the desktop we made for a friend, Opera and busybox also load slowly, and Opera rarely segfaults during use. It does not segfault on our desktop.

links2 graphical loads fine on the Toshiba laptop.

Someone please confirm these problems with (Chips and Technologies) 8-bit/X_SVGA and Opera, and backspace and mouse on Toshiba laptop.

We may try adding no-xvesa.tgz and Opera to the Hitachi BL3.32 after copying over the network module and edited config there (but it has no floppy drive so we will use llpro for that). It has another Chips and Technology video chip. Both need the text screen 'stretched' in BIOS.