baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 01:58:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
Steven, when are you likely to have time to check out Opera with BL3?
My friend is going to the library to use the computers there until I get
him something that does javascript, and I should switch to BL2 if you are
not likely to get to this soon. Can anyone else check this out?

What problem were you having? I looked but could not find your
description of it. Was it the "invalid tar magic" message?

David

It was that thread, but I got around the tar problem by simply copying over the required glibc libraries (2.2.5) from my BL2 setup. I did NOT update the X libraries that are used by the BL3 icewm. I added from the SW81 libc5 solibs packages only:

/sbin/ldconfig (static)
/lib/ld-linux-so.2, libm.so.6, libc.so.6, libpthread, libdl

If I were to copy the SW81 X libraries over, and symlink them, I would also need to change to the BL2 icewm, which depends on them.

I also could not run the Opera install.sh script, but I discovered I could unpack the 6MB of opera (7.23 or 8.51) in / and then cd /opera* and ./opera to run with their wrapper designed for that purpose.

Opera would load, and display local pages, but 'network problem' if I try to access a website after dialing.

Links2 for BL3 will not let my friend login to www.tdwaterhouse.com or even do a search for stock information at that site. I think it is too much javascript. He gets put back immediately to the same page.

He now says it won't do ssl either. Does JP's BL2 version do ssl?

Can you copy an opera package (7.23 or 8.51 or your choice) to BL 3.40, unpackage, add the SW81 libraries as above and run ldconfig, then load opera and go online?

We have the rest of this working beautifully for him. He is getting more forgetful and says he will really appreciate single-letter commands. With Steven's help we can now go straight into X without pressing Enter, and he can type l for links or . o for opera (since it wont' install, we have to invoke a script that cd's to the directory, then the wrapper, with '. o' not 'o'), Alt-f4 to exit either one, and 'reboot' to exit linux before turning off the computer when he sees a big red COMPAQ onscreen. The rxvt is set up with a menu of commands: d for dial, h for hangup, m for a longer menu, l, '.o', and reboot. He can't lose this menu on the screen. I have a symlink to hotlist.html in /hotlist and 'l' cd's to /hotlist before loading links, so g '.' displays a page with only one link. (Or I could set up his three URLs as bookmarks and type s).

To go straight into X, change inittab tty1 line from askfirst to respawn (no Enter required) and add -c startx (goes into X). If he exits X, it comes right back, with an rxvt into which to type 1-letter commands.

He can't accidentally reboot with a one-letter command because I could not find a way to symlink to reboot, which is a busybox command, without just getting the busybox message instead of rebooting .

I investigated a local DSL service for him (they sell you a DSL modem all set up with firewall, just need ethernet driver and udchpc) but we concluded a cell phone would be more useful for the same price.

We included your 2.4.31 kernel and modules so he could download from his camera but he may just print at K-Mart and view on the TV.

Please let me know what luck you have with Opera. I promised him a working Opera next weekend and can always install BL2 instead, but it is larger and more complicated to set up.