baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:54:27 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> alias pico='e3pi'
> works in console mode but not in an rxvt,

Works for me in both.

> nor does your alias copy.

Works for me. I wonder if you have a path problem.
Try using the full pathnames in your aliases. Does
that fix the problem?

> I tried symlinking e3pi to pico and when I type pico I get
> a pico that works in WS mode and gives WS help screen.

e3 behaves like the name with which it is invoked. If you
symlink it to e3pi, it will behave like pico. If you symlink
it to e3ws, it will behave like wordstar. It you symlink it
to pico, it doesn't recognize that so it defaults to WS behavior.

> I don't understand. Do I put into my o script:
> cd /opera
> . opera?

Is opera the name of the start script for opera?

> it 'cannot find opera'.

Obviously not.

> Hopefully by typing one letter, or g plus h symlinked to
> hotlist.html somehow.

g followed by . [ENTER] gives you the current directory.
If hotlist.html is in that directory, you can click on it.

> I could not get this to work even by adding <html>

It works if you use the full pathname to hotlist.html
(or if you are currently in the directory where hotlist.html resides)

> Putting startx in /etc/profile does indeed automatically start X,
> but then if I try to use another workspace or open another rxvt
> it crashes out of X.

Ah, I see. Every shell (even a rxvt shell) runs /etc/profile
when it's invoked. Messy. Here's a better suggestion:

edit /etc/inittab
---------------------------------
tty1::askfirst:-/bin/sh -c startx
---------------------------------
Then only tty1 will run X. Sorry I didn't suggest this first.

> Is there some way to send BL3 into X using runlevels

No, BL3 doesn't have runlevels.

> Does the inittab 'askfirst' for each tty produce
> Please press Enter......
> and if so can I remove it from tty1 line to bypass it?

Yes. See 'man init' in BL3 for explanation how.
You might also find "man sh" useful.

> My partner insists that I download and try Opera 8 in case
> it works with BL3 where 7.23 did not.

I'm currently running Opera 8 on BL2. It works fine there.
I've not yet tried it on BL3.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru