baslinux - Re: [BL] Wine and BL

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wine and BL
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:45:30 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:35:10 -0800
David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron's scanner appears to be parallel port (from the P in the model
> number).

Yes, it is parallel-port, as I said in my first post.

> And I don't think that wine or qemu or any other emulator/
> virtualizer are capable of directly accessing the parallel port pins.

Wine is NOT an emulator - according to its documentation. And it does
access the ports, along with the other hardware. This is why I have hopes of
getting it to work. I have already compiled and installed an older version of
wine into my SW9.1 installation, but it is not functioning as it should. I
don't think I have the configuration quite right, and I haven't been able to
get anything happening except error messages (telling me I haven't got the
configuration right).

> So, Ron, it appears that Windows is part of the 'kit' of your scanner.

The scanner was cheap at the time, presumably because it was limited to
its own software (for Win9x and Mac).
And I do not have the option or the space to install a Win9x partition,
even if I wanted to. My hard disks are fully partitioned, fully utilised (40
GB, 20 GB), with 4 x 2 GB as msdos, a BL21, a BL34, a SW9.1 and a Peanut
Linux.
Besides, installing Windows ? Yeuch !!!

Regards,
Ron