baslinux - Re: [BL] Wine and BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wine and BL
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:07:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

Ron Clarke wrote:

Wine is NOT an emulator - according to its documentation.

I know. It's more of a wrapper around the Windows binary file
formats. It's closer in architecture to dosemu than it is to qemu
or bochs or dosbox.

And it does access the ports, along with the other hardware.

But how extensive is this support for the parallel port and how
much support does your scanner need? Does wine even let
you use drivers or does it provide its own?

Besides, installing Windows ? Yeuch !!!

I know, but it appears that it may be your only option, unless
you can figure out how to write a driver for Linux.

David

My solution to using two ppa Windows printers was to find another 600 dpi used printer (DOS/linux compatible) and recycle the ppa's, after spending a few weeks in collaboration with the author of netpbm trying to get the drivers to work. They only worked right in Windows. The other option would have been to put 50MB of Win95 into the DOS partition and run DOS under Win98 DOS 7.1, and use Windows to defrag DOS. Can 95 be shrunk to less than 50MB by deleting assorted garbage? I expect you can spare 50MB in the 2GB DOS partition.

Is it possible to compile a program statically for Windows (like for glibc?), so that you don't need to have Windows on your system but can run it from DOS?