baslinux - Re: [BL] Wine and BL

  • From: James Miller <7sdm-ocsf AT dea.spamcon.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wine and BL
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:44:00 -0500

You'd be in for a tough time trying to use this scanner with either
WINE or and emulator like Bochs or Qemu, so far as I can figure.
Under all these you put yourself at a further remove from the actual
hardware. Full-blown emulators emulate hardware to the OS being
hosted, so with one of those you'd have to figure out how to implement
USB emulation. I have almost no experience with open source emulators
doing this, but I have accessed USB devices under VMware, a commercial
emulator. But then you pay them to simplify things for you (to the
tune of 100-200 USD). WINE could theoretically access hardware more
directly, but can be convoluted nonetheless. I do use it from time to
time, but I don't think I've ever tried to do anything with USB
devices using it. That said, maybe when I get home this evening can
try installing and running an M$ PDA application under WINE that's
supposed to sync my PDA via USB. Would be interesting to see if it
works now that WINE is developing more fast and furiously. I'll
report back if I am able to make some time to try it.

James