baslinux - Re: [BL] Wine and BL

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wine and BL
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:35:10 -0800

James Miller wrote:
> You'd be in for a tough time trying to use this scanner with either
> WINE or and emulator like Bochs or Qemu, so far as I can figure.
> Under all these you put yourself at a further remove from the actual
> hardware. Full-blown emulators emulate hardware to the OS being
> hosted, so with one of those you'd have to figure out how to implement
> USB emulation. I have almost no experience with open source emulators
> doing this, but I have accessed USB devices under VMware, a commercial
> emulator. But then you pay them to simplify things for you (to the
> tune of 100-200 USD).

Qemu has experimental support for USB host emulation now.

Ron's scanner appears to be parallel port (from the P in the model
number). And I don't think that wine or qemu or any other emulator/
virtualizer are capable of directly accessing the parallel port pins.
So, Ron, it appears that Windows is part of the 'kit' of your scanner.

David