baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 02:35:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

On 1/7/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I had to upgrade to the SW81 gcc and gcc-g++ and also binutils (for as) to
compile netpbm, but even these were not adequate to compile libtiff and
David suggested a newer gcc. fbutils also won't compile but that may be
another problem.

A newer gcc precompiled from SW91 or later would require a glibc upgrade.

Can I use gcc-2.95.3 to compile a later gcc?

Can I download and compile only the gcc-g++ part? Or does the core contain files needed for g++?

Yes. Download some version (such as 3.2.3), unpack it, and:

./configure --enable-languages=c,c++
make
make install

You should have no trouble if you were able to build netpbm with
this configuration.

I think I would need to download gcc core and gcc-g++ (but not the full
25MB package or g77 or objc or java packages), is this right?

Yes.

There are several series of gccs, similarly to kernels, which continue
to be updated, the latest member of which is:
2.95.3 - March 2001 (SW81)
3.2.3 - April 2003 core 10MB g++ 1.9MB
3.3.6 - May 2005 11MB 2MB
3.4.5 - Nov 30 2005 13MB 2.5MB
Also the currently developed 4.0.2.
Which would be the best of these to use for compiling newer source code?

I recommend 3.2.3. If it cannot compile a program, then 2.95.3 can,
in my experience. 4.0.2 is very new and I think that they are still ironing
the bugs out.

I looked at bochs. In addition to 5MB source code, you would need 10MB
FreeDOS disk image. (Can it be done with a .tar.gz instead?)

You need no FreeDOS disk image... if you already have a DOS
bootdisk, you can use that.

Could I somehow copy over the FreeDOS already in use with dosemu?

Would someone (you?) running bochs please let me know if it will display upper ascii characters (alt-128 to alt-255) and work in framebuffer mode?

David