baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:08:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Can I use gcc-2.95.3 to compile a later gcc?

Can I download and compile only the gcc-g++ part? Or does the core
contain files needed for g++?

You need both core and g++. core includes cpp, which g++ needs.
There is also some other functionality in core which g++ needs. I
don't recall what that is at the moment.

You need no FreeDOS disk image... if you already have a DOS
bootdisk, you can use that.

Could I somehow copy over the FreeDOS already in use with dosemu?

Can dosemu format arbitrary files? If so, you can use that to make
a bootdisk image.

What do you mean by 'arbitrary files'? Why is the bootdisk image 10MB? We only needed to download 1.457MB to install FreeDOS without linux.
Is this the bootdisk image?

Would someone (you?) running bochs please let me know if it will display
upper ascii characters (alt-128 to alt-255) and work in framebuffer mode?

It will display the upper ascii characters. It can do basically anything that
a VGA graphics card can do, including bold, font loading, mode changing,
underline, etc.

What do you mean by "work in framebuffer mode?" You need X to use
bochs, unless you want to try to use DOS through a serial port.

David

DOSemu works in text mode or X, and on my TTL monitor in a system with TTL and VGA. But not in framebuffer text mode. Or upper ascii. And VDE Ctrl plus arrow keys does not work, or Ctrl plus K (?) for Find, and a few other Ctrl combinations that all work in straight DOS. If I get the Matrox card to work, can I use fbset to toggle framebuffer mode off?

Do you mean Bochs won't work on TTL (MGA) or even CLI VGA? I don't use Wordperfect (in DOS) on VGA because I don't like seeing underline as red, etc.. VDE is acceptible in VGA mode (and preview does not even work in linux MGA mode because it does not properly display bold underline reverse) but why do you need X to display plain text?

I may just continue wordprocessing in real DOS.