baslinux - [BL] compiling later gcc for BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:39:34 +0000 (UTC)

I had to upgrade to the SW81 gcc and gcc-g++ and also binutils (for as) to compile netpbm, but even these were not adequate to compile libtiff and David suggested a newer gcc. fbutils also won't compile but that may be another problem.

A newer gcc precompiled from SW91 or later would require a glibc upgrade.

Can I use gcc-2.95.3 to compile a later gcc?

I could not find source code for as outside of the binutils package.

I think I would need to download gcc core and gcc-g++ (but not the full 25MB package or g77 or objc or java packages), is this right?

There are several series of gccs, similarly to kernels, which continue to be updated, the latest member of which is:
2.95.3 - March 2001 (SW81) 3.2.3 - April 2003 core 10MB g++ 1.9MB
3.3.6 - May 2005 11MB 2MB
3.4.5 - Nov 30 2005 13MB 2.5MB
Also the currently developed 4.0.2.

Which would be the best of these to use for compiling newer source code?

Does any list member with a broadband connection want to download and try to compile for BL3 or BL2 (with glibc upgrade to 2.2.5 if needed)?
Or even statically against uClibc?

I looked at bochs. In addition to 5MB source code, you would need 10MB FreeDOS disk image. (Can it be done with a .tar.gz instead?)

Sam, could you please test bochs with framebuffer and upper ascii and VDE Ctrl plus arrow keys before I attempt the long download and compile?